I have a handful of products that I lovelovelove and wouldn’t buy any other brand. We’ll get to that soon. Several of my friends are expecting and I think this list is important to share. No one wants to waste money or energy shopping for unnecessary things or for things that people love to buy for you, especially if the shopper is carrying around a squirming bundle of joy in their belly! I must say, it is so awesome to be showered with gifts and excitement and love for your new baby, and I am very thankful for all of the special presents we got. But hold off on these items because you’re sure be all set after all of the gift giving is said and done.
- Baby Booties. People loooove giving expecting moms baby booties. Your baby could be due of the 4th of July and you’ll still get booties to bundle them up in and keep them out of the cold. They will fall off, but you can definitely use them for photo shoots!
- Hats. Sun hats, baseball hats, snow hats, silly hats, knit hats, hats with ears… Again super adorable but you are going to end up with a box full of hats and your baby will only wear one or two of them. I couldn’t help myself and had to custom order a Colorado Girl hat from Esty for photo shoots. I love this picture of her when she was a newborn. She was actually fussing during the whole photo shoot because she hated the hat so much! So, she only wore it for the photo. 🙁
- Stuffed Animals. Before we even came home from the hospital we had a whole herd of stuffed animals. I’m sure she will play with them when she’s a little bit older and starts to pretend. For now, they sit in her “toy library” or on her shelf for decoration. People love to buy stuffed animals and they are really special memories for my baby but I won’t be buying any for a while. Also, lots of toys come with little stuffed animals, like the ones that hang from the play mat or swing so don’t bother buying any for playtime.
- Newborn clothes. Your friends and family will probably buy tiny little outfits for your baby. I only had 3-4 newborn sized outfits but that was plenty for my 7 lb 15 oz baby. I think she grew out of newborn size before she was one month old. I think it’s better to shop off season and get some onesies and cotton pants in size 6 month and up. *Note: I find that size 0-3 months fits like a size 3 month, 3-6 months= 6 month, 6-9= 9 month.
- Newborn diapers. Our hospital sent us home with a pack of newborn diapers. I also made sure I would have a week’s worth of newborn diapers ready for us at the house. (I estimated up to 8 diapers per day so 56 diapers.) You never know until your baby is born if they will even fit in newborn diapers! They are great for the belly button notch but if you need to go straight to size 1s you can just fold the diaper down so it doesn’t rub their nub. I saved the receipts for the newborn diapers and taped them to the package incase we needed to exchange them. Most of my mommy friends said that they received too many newborn diapers as gifts and then they couldn’t exchange them for bigger sizes. This would be a great last minute task to check off the list!
- Blankets. We have two drawers stuffed full of blankets and we hardly ever use them. Recieveing blankets, a quilt for tummy time and swaddles are a must, but I would pass on buying fluffy cutesie blankets. You will probably get some special handmade blankets from friends and family, and maybe you have some of your baby blankets. They will be great for the car seat or chilly stroller rides, or as a backdrop for a little photo shoots.
- Burp cloths. They sound like a great idea and they’re one of those items that people love to give, but in reality you will probably be using the swaddle, receiving blanket, your robe, your bed sheets, your t-shirt…. anything BUT the burp cloth to clean up spit up!
- Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I think we got at least two copies of each book!
the one time she wore the hat, and she was screaming out for every other shot I took
Happy nesting expecting mamas and please check back soon for my list of favorite must have baby items!Share it!